• 9 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup dry marsala
  • pinch kosher salt
Beat in a double boiler with electric mixer​.

The simplicity of this recipe is a little misleading.  There are steps to getting it just right.

First make sure you have a deep bowl in the double boiler because the eggs and sugar splatter when you are beating them and the mixture increases 2-3 times in volume.  Also you will need to experiment on fitting the bowl into the saucepan so that it doesn't touch the water and fits tightly against the sides of the saucepan so the steam does not escape. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in the saucepan under the bowl.

You start beating the eggs and sugar on high speed for 5 minutes.  We suggest starting on a low speed and working your way up.  The mixture will turn a light yellow color and is frothy.  Decrease the speed to low and add the marsala and salt.

Decrease the water to a simmer and on medium speed continue to beat the mixture until it turns thick and frothy.  You will actually see it increasing in volume as you do this.  It's kind of amazing. 

We removed the zabaglione from the heat at this point and set it aside.

We decided to lighten the zabaglione with whipped cream.  I whipped 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream with 1 tbsp of confectioner's sugar.  Once the zabaglione cooled down a little I mixed  1/3 of the whipped cream into the zabaglione to lighten it.  Then I poured that mixture into the whipped cream and gently folded the two together.  You are able to still see streaks of whipped cream in the mixture.  Using a 1/2 cup measure I scooped the zabaglione into martini glasses.  The recipe yielded 12 servings.

I was really focused on the zabaglione when the doorbell rang.  One of the guests was dropping off a birthday cake surprise for her husband.  Then the front door opened and a second guest was dropping off Italian cookies and foccacia bread.  They were looking at the website and loving it.  I finally couldn't resist and asked Mimi to keep beating the mixture for me.  Really, holding onto the mixer over a hot stove for 20 minutes is not so easy.  I took a break to visit with our drop in guests.  We had a visit that felt like the party before the celebration!

 I removed the chicken from the oven, drained the juices from the trays (there was a lot of juice) and set the trays aside.  I also turned the heat on under the marinade to reduce it to a syrup. It didn't get thick and, like I said earlier, maybe we should have added sugar to thicken it.

Everyday Divas Celebrations
with Mimi and Sue
Warm Weather Welcome

 12:45 - 1:45 PM